Why You Should Be Securing Your Mailbox
When it comes to home security, the most obvious measures that people think of are things like door locks, dead bolt installation, alarm systems, and window latches. However, a comprehensive security plan for your family and all of your assets requires inclusion of places around your home as well. Any entry points to your property like gates or garages need to be taken care of, as well as spaces around your home where valuables may be stored like sheds or even mailboxes.
Here we will discuss important considerations when protecting your valuable belongings around your home, especially your mailbox.
Securing your assets around your home
- Gate locks- Consider gates that lock from the inside and offer the option of a latch or sliding bar that can be secured with a padlock. This is convenient for when you want the gate locked for long amounts of time, like when you go out of town.
- Garage door security- There are many options on the market currently for garage door security. It is recommended that you not only have an automatically locking garage door, but an opening system in place like coded entry or smart remote system. The more advanced your opening system, the less likely your garage door will be forced open by outside signals.
- Motion sensor lighting- Potential theft can be greatly reduced by the presence of motion sensor lighting. It is easily installed and very cost effective.
- Shed locks- Sheds are one of the most vulnerable places on most properties because they are often the least guarded, lacking alarm systems or cameras. They can be broken into at night when you are in your home with little detection. Heavy duty locks are recommended for sheds and if you have a great number of valuables inside, it is worth considering extending your alarm system to that area.
- Security cameras- Security cameras are a deterrent to theft and provide a certain amount of stored footage to viewing in the event that a break in does occur. They have become more cost effective over time because of the wide variety of types available.
- Mailbox locks- In order to fully secure your mailbox, you must implement some sort of locking system. Below we will review this further.
Why lock your mailbox
While it may seem unlikely that someone would tamper with your mailbox, this occurrence is not so rare. Mailboxes are places where thieves can often find all sorts of valuable items and gain access to various kind of secure information.
- People may want to take your mail- If there is anyone who may desire access to personal information about your life, they can often find it in your mailbox. Many people often receive bank account information, bills, credit card statements, or secure information from friends or work colleagues. Obviously the most likely person to break into your mailbox is someone wanting to steal from you or gain access to your home.
- Wind, storms, and animals can cause mail to be removed from your mailbox- While this is a less prevalent occurrence, it does happen. Severe wind or small animals that climb like squirrels or raccoons may remove mail from your mailbox. Locks keep out not only people, but animals too.
You may have valuables in your mailbox- If you are receiving sums of money or need your keys to be put into your mailbox, locks keeps them more secure. If you are receiving an expensive package, your locks ensure that no one is able to remove it from the mailbox.
Quick mailbox lock replacement and repair
If you're interested in having a locking mailbox or need a new lock installed, our professionals at 24/7 Local Locksmiths can get to you in no time to help you upgrade your security. We provide 24 hours services, emergency response, and because we have locksmiths across the country, we're sure to have one near you. We're proud to offer you great prices and the highest quality services in the business.
Call us today if you're interested in mailbox lock installation or any other security upgrades!
What Customers Say About Us
We live not too far from Chicago and I spend about a hour and a half to get to my office. Mornings are always in a hurry for me and a broken door would be the worst I could expect. However, this was exactly what happened. I had no time to lose and so I called 247 Local Locksmiths. The expert guy from Locksmiths could fix the problem and I could go to work.format_quote
My car door didn’t open at all. Just a phone call to 24/7 Local Locksmiths and in less than 15 minutes I could drive my car again! Good job!format_quote
Honestly, I didn’t really expect that my vacation house could have a broken door. We use the house just a few months every year and it was pretty embarrassing to arrive and find that the door didn’t open at all. I was searching for an emergency locksmiths near me and by luck, we could contact 247 Local Locksmiths and in less than a hour we got the door fixed… vacation was safe!format_quote